Wednesday, May 30, 2007

All clear and only slightly traumatized.

It's over and done! The HSG was awful and painful but not nearly as bad as I had imagined it to be. And much to my releif there was no freezing involved!

They insisted on taking blood for a pregnancy test although I assured them that after 9 years it would be a bloody miracle if it came back positive. Nothing like adding a little insult to injury eh? Then there was some confusion about who was my doctor and who was doing the proceedure. Dr. M. was unavailable so he had booked me in with another doc in his office who was scheduled to be at the hospital that day. This was news to Dr. L. who insisted that he did not have a patient in today. Once that was straightened out the whole thing did not take very long.

Hubby said it was 7 minutes and 20 seconds from when they kicked him out to when they opened the door. While I was a little upset that he couldn't be with me I was glad he was waiting outside. Apparently some male hospital staffperson was lingering around the exam room and was about to open the door to come in when Hubby stopped him. How mad would I have been to have been exposed to the world! (or at least the waiting room) Somebody would have gotten hurt. Bad enough I had to ask them to close the door before I got on the table.

I wouldn't lie to you, there were parts that were painful and those parts were VERY painful but they were short lived. I had some cramps during and after but all in all I was prepared for much worse. I wouldn't recommend having it done for kicks but if you find yourself in need of one I wouldn't dread it the way I did. I'm still having some cramps a couple of hours later but I am planning to go to my Pilates class tonight.

I was glad I got to watch the screen as it was being done. I got to see the dye filling up and flooding out. (out to where? -I don't want to think about it.) The right side filled and flooded right away and the left side took a bit longer but also flooded. The findings are that there are no blockages and the tubes are all clear!

Now is that good news? Well yes and no. Yes, it is good to know I don't have any cysts or blockages that would require surgery but on the other hand if they found something I'd at least know what the problem was and what was involved in fixing it. As it stands now I'm left with the same diagnosis I've had for the last 3 years - "unexplained infertility".

The Doc did say that there was an increased pregnancy rate immediately after having the test so the odds are better for the next 3 months. I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the next little while.

Thank you soooo much for all of the support in emails and comments. It has been a rough week and this blog has been very theraputic. I wish I had started 3 years ago when I felt like I was the only woman in the world who couldn't have children. Thanks again for taking an interest in my little drama.

1 comment:

lauriec said...

Sending vibes that you fall into that group!

Thanks for stopping in! - CC