Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Seaside Vacation

Hubby and J-li and I had a lovely weekend at the Algonquin Resort in Saint Andrews. Now this is not seasonally the best time for a vacation at a seaside resort but we pretty much had the place to ourselves. It was a very mild weekend and it actually felt like Spring was on the way!

We arrived on Saturday afternoon and although most of the shops were closed for the season but we did find a few treasures. Hubby bought a new mug for his new job. J-li found some smelly bath bombs and I bought a cookbook – “101 Things to do with a Potato”. (Now that Hubby will be working in SJ I will get to experiment with side dishes that do not involve rice!)

We had supper at the hotel, since the best part of staying at the Algonquin is the food. Hubby and I had the wild mushroom and goat-cheese ravioli for an appetizer, and roast beef tenderloin in a merlot reduction. Everything was great. We later ordered dessert from room service. Yummy!

J-li came up to our room and we ordered a movie (For your Consideration) but since we started too late and I did not see more than 3 minutes of the film before I was asleep on the couch - just like being at home.

On Saturday the grounds of the hotel were all covered in snow but by Sunday at noon the grass was showing and it not only felt like Spring it looked like it too! We had a late breakfast at the hotel before taking the long way home.

We took the long way so that J-li and I could stop at Cricket Cove yarn shop. What a great place! There were so many beautiful yarns and handknit items that I was on sensory overload. I fully expected to come out with bags of yarn but faced with that many choices I couldn’t choose. I am truly a novice.

I picked out a book - Weekend Knitting and some Galloway in a sage green with wooly socks in mind. All-in-all not too much spent. What happened next is all J-li’s fault. Since she insisted on chatting with the store owner I was forced to meander around the cash until I came across the Mango Moon yarns. The yarn is made from recycled silk saris in Nepal. I was in love before I looked at the price and managed to convince myself that the $26 was perfectly reasonable price for something so beautiful. I have no idea what I’ll do with it. Maybe I’ll just love him and pet him and call him George.

2 comments:

canknitian said...

Lots of people have pet yarn. I keep almost buying Fleece Artist cashmere because it's so cuddly. :)

I was on sensory overload too and had quite a bit more control than I expected. Next time I'll be better prepared and will come home with more yarn. :D

Thanks again for a great adventure!

Natalie said...

George, hehe

Thanks for stopping in! - CC