Sunday, July 1, 2007

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

I was surprised at how few people had Canada on their list of places they would like to visit. Canada has so many great destinations and the fact that it is so large means we have a little bit of everything. I thought in honour of Canada Day I would try to convince some of my fellow travelers to add Canada, and in particular New Brunswick. So here are some of the things I love about New Brunswick.

 Our capital city, Fredericton – The City of Stately Elms, Noble Daughter of the Forest, is possibly the most beautiful city in Canada and probably one of the smallest. It is not even the biggest city in New Brunswick. Unfortunately we lost many of our stately elms to disease a number of years ago but the replacements are well on their way and there are still many beautiful old elms, many taller than the buildings around them.

 The beautiful Saint John River and the world renowned Miramichi River (rumour has it that more than one American celebrity own or visit fishing camps along the Miramichi.) I love that we are in a valley and crossing the Saint John River river every morning on my way to work. I also love the fact that my morning commute from the north side of Fredericton to downtown on the south side takes me all of 10 minutes in rush hour. Only 5 minutes when there is no traffic.

 Fredericton also has two terrific universities – UNB and St. Thomas University. UNB Law has consistently ranked as one of the best law schools in Canada. My American friends may be interested to know that both John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy received honourary degrees from the University of New Brunswick in 1957 and 1967. The two universities share the most beautiful campus overlooking the river with buildings in red brick. Although there were many days I cursed ‘the hill’ and wondered why they had to put the law school at the top.

 You can be in PEI, or Halifax in hours, you can go just about anywhere in Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island in a day. Cape Breton is perhaps the most beautiful place in the world we went over for a wedding on one weekend and loved it so much we drove back and toured the Cabot Trail the next weekend. Every corner was breathtaking! Although Canknitian and I would have to warn that Meat Cove is only a ‘virtually bug free campground’ because it is on the end of the world and it was so windy and cold the bugs had the good sense to leave. Mind you that was only at night and I will never forget the sun rising out of the Atlantic Ocean. I have been in early September but I’d love to see it in the fall.

 While we don’t really have a metropolitan club scene there are hundreds of terrific pubs. A couple of favourites are The Snooty Fox, The Lunar Rogue, and Dolan’s Pub.

 Pubs brings me to music. You have to smile and tap your feet when you listen to Maritime music. Some of the better known would be Great Big Sea, the Rankin Family, Stompin’ Tom Connors, Sarah McLaughlin started as a Maritime artist from Halifax but I’m not sure when that changed. It seems like every week we have a different festival, there is the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, The Country Music Festival, The Highland Games and Scottish Festival, the NB Summer Music Festival, and that is just in Fredericton! The Highland Games is by far my favourite, say what you will about bagpipes but there are few things that feel more like home than good old Maritime Celtic music. (And I don’t care what you say there is something undeniably attractive about a manly men in a manly skirt!)

Here is a link to all the other great stuff going on in Fredericton this summer.

 I love that we are Canada’s only officially bilingual province. While I don’t speak any French, my in-laws are Francophone and so on many occasions you can hear my MIL and I having a conversation in two languages. Don’t let a lack of French stop you from visiting the Acadian Peninsula, the people there are very accommodating and an English speaking person can easily get by.

 I love being near the ocean. You can reach salt water in any directions but West. The Chaleur Bay to the north has many private beaches and by late July early August it is really great for swimming. On a calm day the water is so clear you can float along the top and watch the fish and crabs along the bottom and on other days you can spend hours riding the waves (thing wave pool not surfing). Along the East coast we have some great beaches at Kouchibouguac National Park or Parlee Beach Provincial Park which has the warmest salt water north of Virginia. To the South we have Fundy National Park on the Bay of Fundy which is has the world's highest tides. There are great little seaside towns and attractions all along the south shore, St. Andrews by the Sea is a favourite destination.

Did I mention the great place names like Kouchibouguac (KOOSH-e-boo-gwack)?


 If you are into seafood, you can either enjoy some of the fine cuisine at the Algonquin or you can cook up yourself. Personally I’m not a fan but I know people who have visited New Brunswick and left with cases of live lobster to fly it home with them.

 If you are the outdoorsy type there is a lot to explore by canoe, kayak, bike, walking trails. You can stay in the city and travel out on day trips or you can camp in the wilderness.

 We have fantastic farmer’s markets, lots of historical and cultural attractions, you can watch pottery being made or check out the Salvador Dali and Group of Seven paintings at the Beaverbrook Art Gallery. If you can’t get here to see them in person you can check out the collection on their website – very cool.

 Oh did I forget to mention to my fellow yarnaholics that we also have Briggs and Little Woolen Mill which is celebrating its 150th year and London-Wul Fiber Arts.

Have I convinced you to add New Brunswick to your list of travel destinations? Perhaps my fellow NBers could add their comments. Bring your knitting and we’ll share a drink on the deck!

4 comments:

lauriec said...

I am sad to admit I have never been to the maritime provinces----must visit one day!

Happy 140th Canada Day!

Miss Me said...

Excellent job Crafty Canadian! As a "come from away", I can attest to the beauty of New Brunswick. It is simply gorgeous and given that Crafty Canadian has a life other than blogging, she has simply scratched the surface.

Happy Canada Day!

NH Knitting Mama said...

You know, I have been to Canada many times. Quebec and Montreal on road trips, and I love them both. Thank you for a great post, and selling me on yet another destination I want to go to!

Maureen said...

I would love to travel across country and hit New Brunswick along with all of the other maritime provinces. I wish I could convince my kids of the same. Of course, I'd have to convince my boss that I couldn't do a cross country trip in a scant two weeks. One of the few downsides of living in such a vast country is the inability to see it all. Hope you had a lovely Canada Day!

Thanks for stopping in! - CC