Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Heaster Heggs Unt and the Heaster At

I really do admire people who are fluent in more than one language. My Hubby is one of them, he is can flip back and forth with no accent either way. He was raised in a French household but lived in English communities. It is something I just can't seem to master. Although I can read and understand a great deal of spoken French I have no ability to speak it myself. I know the words but not the grammar. That said - there is something inherently funny about accents.

I took the Monkey to an Easter story time at the library this morning. I took the morning off just for the occasion. I picked him up from his daycare to go on his first trip to the library. They had a librarian in a bunny suit (more on that later) reading stories, singing songs and doing crafts. She was great with the kids and had them all very engaged. She did however have a very thick French accent. The first story as about An Heaster Heggs Unt and every page was "Do you think this it is an heaster heggs? No, it is not an heaster heggs it is a..." The second story was about a special "Heaster at" for the Heaster parade. She did a great job but it made me chuckle. I have to give her credit, if I ever got brave enough to read a story aloud in French the audience would be rolling on the floor.

After we finished our craft and picked our books we headed back to daycare. Unfortunately they had an early lunch and so I had to get the Monkey dressed and back in the car to go for lunch at my house. There was a lot of arm twisting going on over lunch. "mmm,how about we stay at your house today?" "We could snuggle on the couch and have a nap at your house." "We had only had one half a day from daycare, let's have two half a days from daycare." It was so hard to resist! It would have been a beautiful day to spend with the Monkey but I had to go back to work.

Hubby took him to the Globetrotters game last night and they had a blast. Apparently the basketball players were cool but it was the mascot - Globey that was the big hit. I went to see "Blades of Glory" with friends. I expected nothing from it and laughed the whole way through! (The end was a little much.) It was juvenille and had an obvious plot but it also had some good laughs.

Tonight we had pilates and for the first time I sat close to the mirrored wall. I won't make that mistake again. There is nothing encouraging about watching your round little body bulge as you twist and turn. Generally, I can imagine that I am much more graceful than I actually appear. I usually can relax and focus on the movements but tonight I was distracted and kept thinking "My God, you really are a round little butterball! - Good grief are my boobs really that big!"

On the upside I did keep thinking that I liked my new haircut.

2 comments:

canknitian said...

Ah ha! Someone else who loathes the mirror! I hate being up close. I notice my "monstrous" boobs and my "rotund" face and my "very flabby" arms and want to crawl under my mat and die. But I think that would make my arse look big. SIGH.

Let's make a pact -- next week, we remember to sit in the back row, ok? We can admire your fab hairdo from there, ok?

Crafty Canadian said...

You have a deal!

Thanks for stopping in! - CC