Sunday, April 29, 2007

Do you work for love or for money?

Last week I interviewed for a new job. The interview went very well, I was able to answer all of their questions and had plenty of relevant experience. The pay was MUCH better than what I currently make ($10,000 more + benefits + an extra week of vacation + RSP matching). The work would not be difficult, and I would likely be less busy than I am in my current position. So what's the problem, right?

Problem is I love the work I do. I work for a non-profit organization and make peanuts compared to what I could be making at a firm or in government. But the perks of my job include:
- Interesting and rewarding projects
- There is lots of variety in the projects I work on.
- I can take a sunny afternoon and work from my deck at home.
- There is satisfaction in knowing the work I do is helping people
- It is in my field
- I get to network and take part in committees and conferences.
- There is lots of travel.
- I work in an office of all women who tolerate my Crazy days.
- I can call into work "Crazy" and work from home with no questions asked or hassles.

As you can tell there is a lot to like about where I am. The downside is the pay, no opportunities for advancement,and funding for the position is always hanging in the balance.

The question becomes whether to take a job that is less interesting and more financially fulfilling or stay with a job that I love and earn less. Last time I weighed these options I was offered a position with the government. I quickly decided to stay where I was. The work would have been dreadfully boring and it was only guaranteed for 1 year.

So what would you do? Given your choice between a great paying job and work that is interesting and fun, which would you choose?

2 comments:

canknitian said...

For me, at this point in my life, fun and interesting is the right choice.

Don't just think about the pros and cons today. Think about what it would be like to be doing each job 10 weeks, 10 months and 10 years from now.

Make a list of the pros and cons for each of the jobs.

What do the pros and cons look like at each of those points?

How will each of those affect you if you to those jobs for 10 weeks, 10 months or 10 years?

Which one will have the biggest and most positive effect on you as a person?

What impact will they have on the important people in your life? [Be careful how much weight you give this one. I know your situation is different from mine but remember that you're the one who has to do the work day in and day out]

What options will you have available to you elsewhere in your field / world after doing each job for 10 weeks, months or years?

After all of that, ask yourself -- is it worth it?

Just my two cents. I know you'll make the best decision for you.

Big hug,
j

Anonymous said...

So here's my opinion, just based on my own life's experiences. I've never been very happy just doing a job for the money. I have to love it. At one point, for a few years, my ex and I were millionaires. Really. I have never been unhappier in my life. When I got out of that, I took a good look at what would make me happy. It was not my former profession. So, now I do something totally socially unacceptable (not immoral-get your mind out of the gutter!) for a woman of my *ahem* station in life. And, I have never been happier or enjoyed anything more. I have 3 university degrees, one of them a PhD. I drive an 18-wheeler. And I love it. I barely hit 6 figures/year now, but my hair has stopped greying, my life is fun, and I don't really care if my sister-in-law tells people I'm a "logistical engineer" because she is ashamed to say "trucker." So, what I'm saying here: unless you have children that NEED that $10K/year, or other financial responsibilities, do what will make you happy. Which job that is, well, you have to decide that. Life is too short, and waaaayyy too long, to be miserable.
Good luck making a decision. Listen to the people in your head.

Thanks for stopping in! - CC