Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Horse Pills

All the news coverage in the past week about the link between prenatal vitamins and childhood cancer has convinced me to start back on the damn pills. I know there were all ready plenty of reasons for taking them but somehow the following factors outweighed all of those:


- They even look disgusting; Motrin comes in a happy orange colour why do they have to look like something made of recycled cardboard.

- They are horse pills! Why do they have to make them so big, I would be more likely to take 2 or 3 little pills than face that big gag-inducing horse pill?

- It’s a pain to buy them. Why to prenatal vitamins have to be kept behind the counter when every other supplement and vitamin are kept in the isle?

- I can’t remember to take them if they are not out where I can see them, but if I leave them out people assume I’m pregnant.

- There is something optimistic about taking a pill in anticipation of becoming pregnant, after a while this optimism wears a little thin.

- Lots of people just get pregnant without all of the planning and only start taking the vitamins when they find out they are pregnant.

I know these are very lame reasons but all the same I stopped. Now that the research shows you can reduce the risk of cancer up to 47% for some types of cancer. I don’t know what it is about cancer that is scarier than all the other diseases and birth defects that were previously linked to a lack of folic acid. I just tell myself to suck it up and swallow the damn pill.

No comments:

Thanks for stopping in! - CC